Such a warming meal for a cold winter's day!
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 lbs), skin removed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- In a large soup pot, combine chicken, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, garlic, pepper, and 1 t salt. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer partly covered, occasionally skimming and discarding fat from surface, about 1 hour.
- With a slotted spoon or tongs, remove chicken; set aside. Add rice. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, til rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones, and shred into bite-size pieces (discarding any fat or gristle).
- When rice is cooked, return chicken to broth in pot and heat through.
- Season generously with salt.