A day early and a dollar shortâ€¦or something like that. Anyway, the FOFF recipe is a day early this week for no reason, just that I felt like posting it early.Â My blog, my prerogative.
SO Filling!Â But not so photogenic or could just be the photographer â€¦eh hemmm!
A really good meal for high nutrition and low fat diet watchers.Â It's a keeper!Â Thanks to Carla Vavala and her book Fusion of Food and Friends. Page 44.
- 1 TBS vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 TBS chili powder (I toned it down and just used 1)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 tsp prepared mustard
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 1 can dark red pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (* We only used the one can of pintos and NO black beans. The recipe STILL made 6 burritos).
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg of 10" tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese *or your favorite
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack or Colby cheese, shredded *or your favorite
- 1/4 cup shredded jalapeno cheese *or pepper jack â€“optional
- melted butter or healthy choice margarine or non stick cooking spray
- sour cream â€“ optional
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Fry the onions and garlic in the oil until softened then add the chili powder, cumin, mustard, and cayenne.Â Warm through. Add the soy sauce.
in a large bowl, mash the beans and add to the frying pan.Â Add the broth and heat until warm.
Add salt and pepper to the mashed sweet potato.
Divide the bean mix with the sweet potato mix evenly over the tortilla. Top with cheeses and fold like a burrito. Place on non stick baking sheet.Â Lightly brush tops with melted butter or margarine or spray with non stick cooking spray (not a fan of that idea!).
Bake for 12 â€“ 15 minutes or until lightly golden .
Serve with sour cream.Â Leftovers will freeze well.
Not an easy meal to photograph but believe meâ€¦it sure was easy to eat.Â It was also a terrific way to refuel after a good, fast running and weight workout.Â Feeling strong! Are you?