Our family just LOVES calzones!
Mom got this recipe from Taste of Home and we adapted it to our tastes. The original calls for making the dough in a bread machine but mom did it from scratch.
She also added diced ham, which isn't called for in the original.
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- 2 t active dry yeast
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 can (26 oz) your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting; press start.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, cook sausage over medium heat til no longer pink; drain and cool. When bread machine cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a large circle. Transfer to a large baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or oiled.
- Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce over half of circle to within 1/4 in. of edges. Layer with Parmesan cheese, sausage, mushrooms, green pepper, onion and mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal.
- With a sharp knife, make two slashes in dough.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or til golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Warm remaining spaghetti sauce; serve with calzone.