I found this amazing recipe in Better Homes and Gardens magazine. These were probably some of the best chili dogs I've ever made. They are pretty spicy so beware if you don't care for spicy foods.
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped, divided
- 1 T minced jalapeno chile pepper or 1/4 t ground jalapeno powder
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1/2 cup lager beer, beef broth, or water
- 8 1/4 pounds all-beef hot dogs, boiled or steamed
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 slices American cheese
1. In a frying pan over medium heat, cook bacon and half of onion til bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes.
2. Add jalapeno and garlic to skillet, cook 1 minute. Add ground beef; cook and stir 5 minutes, breaking up chunks. Drain well.
3. Stir in seasonings, tomatoes and paste, and beer. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally til thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Top dogs with chili, cheese, and remaining chopped onion.