Did you hear?Â The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture's new nutrition SuperTracker is now available on line at ChooseMyPlate.gov designed to assist individuals in reducing risk of chronic disease and maintaining a healthy weight.
Access the free SuperTracker tool anytime and choose from a variety of features that support nutrition and fitness goals. SuperTracker offers the ability to:
- Personalize recommendations for what and how much to eat and amount of physical activity.
- Track foods and physical activity from an expanded database of foods and physical activities.
- Customize features:Â goal setting, virtual coaching, weight tracking, and journaling.
- Measure progress with comprehensive reports ranging from a simple meal summary to in-depth analysis of food groups and nutrient intake over time.
- Support family and friends by adding individual profiles.
What a fun tool and â€¦ it's FREE!
An easy way to make that age old favorite Mediterranean bean dish, Pasta Fagioli, based on a recipe from "Mediterranean Light".Â
I used canned beans but you can certainly soak and sort your favorite dried bean to truly bring out all the flavor in this dish.Â
I used Quinoa Pasta to add a bit more protein to the meal and keep it gluten free.Â
This recipe will serve 4 â€“ 6.
- 15 oz. Dark Red Kidney Beans (don't limit yourself, use chick peas, white beans, whatever your favorite)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 6 oz. water (or vegetable broth)
- 14 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 TBS sun dried tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 TBS chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. Quinoa Pasta (Gluten and Corn free â€“ Vegan friendly)
- 2 TBS fresh chopped parsley
- Parmesan cheese to top (optional)
Heat the oil and sautÃ© onion until tender.Â Add the garlic and sautÃ© an additional minute.
Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, pepper flakes, oregano, thyme, rosemary and water/broth.Â Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat to simmer forÂ 45 minutes. Don't allow to boil again!
In the meantime, cook the pasta.
Quinoa Pasta by "Andean Dream" is a powerhouse pasta.Â The ingredients are simply Organic rice flour and Organic royal quinoa flour.Â Per 2 oz. serving, about 3/4 cup, 207 calories, 1 gram of fat, 42 grams carbohydrates, and 6 grams of protein, rich in Iron.
Add the pasta to the bean mixture and stir in the parsley.Â Test to see if you need to add salt and pepper.Â
Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
There's just something about Pasta E Fagioli that make a body feel good.
What's your favorite pasta dish?