My roommate recently commented that my diet is an ongoing stream of healthy, creative snacks. It’s true. Well, at least the healthy part…I’m not sure about the level of creativity, I just go with the flow. I have to because I snack every 2-4 hours. The standard meat and potatoes meals bore and depress me. I need zest and variety so through out the day I whip up little inventions to keep me happy. The snacks all have a few things in common: healthy, quick and cheap.
I rarely plan the snacks before hand; I simply delve into the fridge and cabinets and grab at whatever looks good. This means that the majority of households will have the snack items available and might benefit from my ideas.
Ten 2-5 Minute Snack Ideas
1) Spread a thin layer of sour cream, fruit preserves of choice (red raspberry works well) onto whole wheat tortilla, fold in half and place in toaster oven for a minute or so. If no toaster over, toast pieces in microwave, add filling and zap in microwave 30 seconds or so to meld together all the flavors. It’s a poor man’s crepe…but a lot less calories, super easy and delish!
2) Cottage cheese with sliced tomato and stone ground mustard- you can add just about anything to this to taste: olives, cucumbers, onions, pickles, etc.
3) Sliced bell pepper, dip in cottage cheese and mustard. Or hummus, whatever you have, but sliced bell pepper make for a great snack.
4) Whole wheat crackers, dip in tuna salad made with olive oil, lemon juice and herb seasoning to taste.
5) Cottage cheese with fresh strawberries and sliced almonds; most fruits you have on hand will also work, fruit and cheese go really well together.
6) Sliced tomato and avocado with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and paper. Also good with wheat crackers, piece of toast or French bread- whatever you have on hand works.
7) Toasted tortilla (can put directly into toaster: cut in half, fold each half again and put in toaster). Then spread some honey or jam. Sprinkle with toasted almonds if desired. Can also spread light peanut butter.
8) Chop some fresh broccoli into a microwavable bowl (I don’t even use a cutting board, just rinse and cut directly into dish) pour on whatever pasta sauce on hand, microwave about 2.5 minutes. Can sprinkle cheese if desired. This is a more savory one and just about good as a baked broccoli dish.
9) Instead of chips, I’ll often slice up cucumbers and dip them in soy sauce and lemon juice.
10) Your favorite lunch meat (I go for turkey when possible), wrap around slice of pickle and tomato, dip in mustard. I make 2 or 3 of them for a snack.
If you have your own quirky, fast snack ideas, let us know!